Ketones were first introduced back in 2014 and they took the world by storm. In fact, anything that involves the word "keto" really took off and it now seems that every second is either doing a keto diet or taking keto/beta hydroxybutyrate supplements.
But it appears that the internet is full of conflicting information regarding a particular compound that's growing in popularity in the ketogenic realm - BHB. There's a good amount of misinformation and in today's post, we're going to tackle this issue.
Actually, we're going to make this a guide - not just any guide though, this is the definitive guide! So make sure to get comfortable, grab a hot cup of tea (or a beta hydroxybutyrate supplement and read on).
Okay, but what on earth is a Beta Hydroxybutyrate Supplement?
BHB is an organic compound and this abbreviation stands for the fancy Beta-Hydroxybutyrate that happens to be a molecule that's considered a ketone body.
BHB is also the first ketone body that your system produces during a fasted state (e.g. when you haven't consumed any food for hours on end). And it's also one of the primary molecules that help with energy production when you've depleted your stored glucose.
The Beta-Hydroxybutyrate molecule is thus crucial when your body starts relying on fat for fuel. Now, taking a BHB supplement can help with enhanced energy production or in other words - it puts you in a nutritional ketosis.
And although many believe it to be a ketone, in reality, it isn't really a ketone. However, due to the general concept of keto diets, we can count it as a ketone and one of the 3 ketone bodies:
- Acetoacetic acid
- Beta-Hydroxybutyrate (the "not-a-ketone" ketone)
Ultimately, BHB and ketones, in general, are produced by your body when you consume a low carb-high fat diet and alternatively, beta hydroxybutyrate supplements can be consumed exogenously (as a supplement) to reinforce the fat burning effects.
Does that mean that our bodies produce BHB on their own?
Absolutely. One of the primary concepts of keto diets is to unlock those ketones like BHB in order to benefit from the associated fat-burning results. There are two types of this it, depending on where it came from:
- Endogenous BHB (your body produces it)
- Exogenous BHB (you receive it from supplements)
The first thing that your body taps into is your glycogen supply. When it runs out of carbohydrates to use though, your liver starts producing BHB from long-chain and medium-chain fatty acids that are detached from your fat tissue. Or in other words - you burn fat for fuel.
And if you want to speed up the process of your body switching from carbohydrate to BHB metabolism (or ketosis) by taking a supplement that has Beta-Hydroxybutyrate.
Checking your BHB levels
The best and the only reasonable way of doing that is by getting a blood test. That's because Beta-Hydroxybutyrate is transported by your blood and this makes the most accurate way f measuring how much you have by getting your blood drawn.
But don't be petrified if you hate needles because a finger prick is enough to determine your BHB levels. You can even do it yourself at home in a similar fashion to what people with diabetes do.
Now, being in a state of nutritional ketosis means that you need your BHB levels to be anywhere from 0.5 to 3.0/mmol when you do your test.
The undeniable benefits of BHB supplementation
By taking advantage of Beta-Hydroxybutyrate supplements, you'll be able to get into a state of ketosis much quicker and your body will have no choice but to start using your fat as fuel.
And there's a plethora of benefits associated with BHB, from fat loss to cognitive improvement. Let's have look at some of the most profound effects of BHB:
- Fat/weight loss
- Appetite suppression
- Your body will tolerate it better than MCT oil
- Improves athletic performance
- Enhances cognitive abilities
- Anti-inflammatory properties
That's not all though. Beta-Hydroxybutyrate has been associated with having even anti-carcinogenic properties as well as being able to improve conditions such as Alzheimer's disease.
What science have to say about that?
Frist and foremost, there's a study conducted by the International Journal of Cancer in 2014 that highlights the effectiveness of ketone bodies for decreasing tumour cell viability in mice.
Scientists have found out that cancer cells can't use ketone bodies as effectively as other tissues in the body. This is directly connected to an increase in survivability, according to that study. The test subjects (mice) managed to increase their survival rates by as much as 70% with the help of exogenous ketones.
And if you're not to keen on studies involving rodents (although the findings are more than fascinating), then you'll probably like the next relevant study concerning the use of ketone supplementation as a method for neuroprotection.
There's a particular study by the Journal of Neurochemistry from 2015 came to the conclusion that supplementing with BHB ameliorates the typical decline in cognitive functions that are part of the aging process.
Researchers believe that this is due to fact that ketone bodies reduce the inflammation and hyperexcitability, associated with a decline in glucose metabolism in the brain.
There are two more relevant studies that point to the efficacy of Beta-Hydroxybutyrate for neuroprotection in general:
- A 2004 study from the Journal of Neurobiology of Aging provides conclusive data concerning BHB's effect on cognition in memory-impaired adults. To put it simply, the researchers found out that BHB helped improve memory recall in those patients.
- There's also a case study from the Journal of Behavioural Pharmacology that deals with the neuroprotective capabilities of Beta-Hydroxybutyrate. The evidence is that beta hydroxybutyrate supplements can indeed be pretty helpful as a neuroprotective agent.
What types of athletes generally use BHB supplements?
Essentially, every athlete can use beta hydroxybutyrate supplements to great success. Nonetheless, endurance athletes (such as cyclists) would probably benefit the most, but there are even bodybuilders who rely on ketosis to get down to really low body fat levels.
Now, we're going to have a look at two awesome and super relevant studies that truly highlight the strengths of Beta-Hydroxybutyrate supplementation for athletic performance.
A great study from 2016 concludes that ketosis decreases muscle glycolysis and plasma lactate concentrations, while also providing an alternative substrate for oxidative phosphorylation. This is what the researchers summarized at the end of the study:
- Nutritional ketone bodies can promote the perks associated with starvation ketosis
- Also, nutritional ketosis alters the hierarchy of substrate competition for respiration in exercise
- Ketosis enhances metabolic flexibility during exercise and it also reduces glycolysis and boosts muscle-fat oxidation
- BHB could be beneficial for some athletes like cyclists due to the observed improvement in performance during the cycling time trial
Not only that, but there's additional scient at data that fortifies BHB's position as a superb supplement for all kinds of athletes. There's a study courtesy of the Journal of Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise that observed 12 well-trained male athletes and how a ketone (Beta-Hydroxybutyrate) drink affected their muscle glycogen synthesis
Needless to say, their findings were conclusive. Supplementing with BHB does increase muscle glycogen synthesis. Note that these findings were gathered from test subjects that had high-glucose concentrations.
So, in essence - ketone supplements like BHB boost insulin levels, glucose uptake and even muscle glycogen synthesis. That's more than enough to make anyone a fan of such supplements.
StockNutra offers not 1 but 4 BHB products that you can choose from for your own supplement brand
You're now familiar with all the facts about this incredible compounds, how beneficial it is and what it actually is. There's no denying that your supplement company would be able to capitalize on the fast-growing market of keto supplements.
We know that you require ketogenic supplements of the highest quality and that's why our exogenous keto Beta-Hydroxybutyrate products provide an amazing 11.7 grams of our unique BHB performance complex that consists of:
- Calcium Beta-Hydroxybutyrate(as Go BHB®)
- Sodium Beta-Hydroxybutyrate (as Go BHB®)
- Magnesium Beta-Hydroxybutyrate(as Go BHB®)
We take private label supplements to the next level by manufacturing everything in-house and storing all of our products internally. And because we know that a great product calls for superb flavours, our stock ketogenic BHB powders come with four mouth-watering flavours:
Time to add BHB to your supplement company's portfolio by putting your trust in StockNutra. We are a reputable private supplement manufacturer that's fully GMP and FDA compliant and we'll provide your brand with the best Beta-Hydroxybutyrate in town.
Make sure to give us a call now at 888-690-9093 or fill in our Contact Form and one of our representatives will contact you in a timely manner.
- Ketone supplementation decreases tumor cell viability and prolongs survival of mice with metastatic cancer - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24615175
- Effects of ketone bodies in Alzheimer's disease in relation to neural hypometabolism, β-amyloid toxicity, and astrocyte function - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25832906
- Effects of beta-hydroxybutyrate on cognition in memory-impaired adults - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15123336
- Neuroprotective and disease-modifying effects of the ketogenic diet - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2367001/
- Nutritional Ketosis Alters Fuel Preference and Thereby Endurance Performance in Athletes - http://www.cell.com/cell-metabolism/abstract/S1550-4131(16)30355-2
- A Ketone Ester Drink Increases Postexercise Muscle Glycogen Synthesis in Humans - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28398950