Our hectic lifestyles really add a load of stress on us and mental stress can lead to anxiety among other symptoms. There is a high demand for supplements for the alleviation of anxiety and you can benefit from adding some of our supplement ingredients into your private label line. Here we will look at a number of ingredients and how they have a positive effect on anxiety sufferers.
Stress has a significant impact on our day to day lives and our bodies. When people don’t take the time to alleviate their stress this can lead to many illnesses both physical and mental. The right supplements in therapeutic doses can help to alleviate some amount of anxiety and stress. Coupled with a healthy lifestyle and diet your customers can reduce their anxiety tremendously.
- Melatonin – melatonin is primarily known for its use as a sleep aid. It is the hormone responsible for sleep cycles and is produced in the pineal gland of the brain. As this hormone helps with sleep it also helps to alleviate stress. It is safe to use especially since it is made in the human body. Research indicates that supplementing with melatonin supports and promotes healthy sleep patterns. Not only does research support the efficacy of melatonin on sleep but also on depression, anxiety and behavioral disorders. The reason melatonin works for anxiety and depression is because mood and sleep are very closely connected.
- Magnesium – this is a mineral which is essential for the functions of the nerves and muscles. Most people who consume a balanced diet get enough magnesium in their diet. But how many of us actually consume a balanced diet on a regular basis? Supplementing with magnesium can alleviate anxiety as the supplement helps to promote relaxation. This means that having a magnesium deficiency in and of itself can cause anxiety.
Research shows that magnesium is a large role player when it comes to the stress responses hormonal axis. Research indicates that magnesium supplementation can be an effective way to help with treating depression.
- Fish Oil – the omega 3 fatty acids found in fish oil are necessary for the optimal chemistry of the brain. WE tend to have diets that are short in omega 3 fats and so it is important to supplement with these fats. If the brain doesn’t have enough omega 3 fats the nerve signals won’t be properly transmitted and so this can lead to feelings of anxiousness and or depression.
A study of 43 adults done in 2007 conducted on persons with diets high in omega 6 fats but low in omega 3 fats showed high levels of pro inflammatory cytokines. These molecules are proceed in the bodies of persons that are stressed and depressed.
A study in 2009 showed that increasing omega 3 intake could help reduce depressive symptoms in women by about 30%.
- Vitamin D – This vitamin is well known for its ability to keep your bones and teeth healthy and strong. But vitamin D is a very multitasking vitamin and it does help with depression and anxiety. A study of 441 overweight and obese individuals of both genders done in 2008 in Norway showed that Vitamin D supplementation did have a significant lowering effect on depression symptoms. While the study did not show exactly how vitamin D worked to provide this effect the conjecture is that it does so by improving the function of neurotransmitters.
While the human body does have the ability to manufacture its own Vitamin D the majority of the population does not spend enough time in the direct sunlight to ensure their body is producing enough of the Vitamin. As such supplementation is a great way to get the body the amounts of Vitamin D that it needs.
- Calcium – calcium works along with magnesium to provide nourishment for the nervous system. As such calcium is a great supplement which can help with panic attacks, anxiety, irritability and restlessness. When taken together with magnesium it provides even better benefits to sufferers of anxiety. The evidence supporting the usefulness of calcium to reduce anxiety suggests a dosage on average of 1000mg per day.
- Whey Protein – Whey protein in the form of protein powder can help in reducing the symptoms associated with anxiety and depression. This is because of the rich amounts of amino acids present in protein supplements when compared to meat and meat products. These amino acids once ingested can help to convert neurotransmitters in the brains to change the signals which cause depression. Supplementing with a protein shake or powder along with other supplements mentioned in this list can help decrease anxiety.
- Vitamin C – This vitamin is very versatile and has shown that it is very effective in benefiting a number of diseases such as diabetes, Alzheimer’s and even some types of cancer. It is most commonly taken to boost the immune system and to help get rid of a cold. However Vitamin C has a positive effect on brain function and mood.
Studies show that anxiety and depression have been linked to low levels of vitamin C. This vitamin is required to produce norepinephrine which is a neurotransmitter and a stress hormone at the same time. Vitamin C is instrumental in suppressing cortisol which is a major stress hormone. Thus supplementation with vitamin C offers individuals the ability to be more resilient to stress and to be able to get out of stressful situations more quickly.
Another way vitamin C helps to reduce anxiety is by helping your body to manufacture serotonin. Serotonin is a mood boosting chemical that can help with anxiety disorders. Studies done on persons suffering from GAD which means generalized anxiety disorder who were asked to supplement with vitamin C. The supplementation caused a anxiety to be reduced significantly.
- Zinc – this is a mineral that is good for the well-being of the mind and overall health. You will find the highest concentration of zinc in the part of the brain called the hippocampus. Zinc works to modulate your stress response. A neurotransmitter important in calming is GABA, GABA requires zinc to synthesize this neurotransmitter. When combined with B6, zinc supplementation helps to produce serotonin. Zinc can be used as a stand-alone supplement or it can be used alongside antidepressants as well. Studies have shown that zinc improves the efficacy of SSRIs.
It is a recognized fact that low zinc levels have been associated to memory loss, ADHD, mental retardation, learning disabilities, dementia and anxiety. Studies also show that zinc deficiency is astonishingly frequent and that persons that are ingesting too much copper this can lower their zinc levels. Excess copper will block the activity of GABA and thus causes an increase the known stress hormones norepinephrine or epinephrine.
Copper from your diet is fine, it is the copper found in copper pipes, medications and multivitamin supplements can lead to overload which will negatively impact zinc levels in the body. The problem is that most foods that have a high zinc content are also high in copper. As such the best way to increase your zinc ingestion is by way of supplementation. A healthy copper-zinc balance will provide you with the best alleviation to anxiety.
If your product line is seeing an increase in demand for supplements to help with managing anxiety then we have all the above mentioned products that you could add to your line. Here at StockNutra we commit to manufacturing only the best supplements and offer our expertise to you to help you improve your line of products.
Having a line of supplements that helps anxiety sufferers will really help your bottom line. We can stock you with all thing products you need ensuring we can keep up with your supply and demand line. Our high quality supplements are just what your private label product line needs.